Renewable energy is a natural energy that has an infinite supply. Renewable energy source capture the energy from on going natural processes, existing flows of energy, etc.
The list of renewable energy sources are Biomass, Hydro, Geothermal, Solar, Tidal, Wave, Wind, Wood, etc.
Types of renewable energy
There are six types of renewable energy. They are:
- Hydro power renewable energy: The greatest energy source is hydro power renewable energy. It is one of the most efficient electricity generating sources. Hydro power plants are of low cost to build and easy to maintain. Hydro power electricity is generated by passing water through a turbine.
- Wind renewable energy: Wind energy can be used in a reliable way, if the wind turbines are placed in the correct location. The disadvantages in wind turbines are it generate noise pollution and cause injurious to birds.
- Solar renewable energy: Solar renewable energy is also known as photovoltaic renewable energy which uses solar energy to generate electricity. Solar cell convert’s solar energy into electricity.
- Geo thermal renewable renewable energy: The process of trapping heat underground and building the energy near the surface of Earth in the form of heat. This heat generate hot water or steam which is used to turn steam turbine in order to generate electricity.
- Biomass renewable energy: Biomass renewable energy uses plant matter such as dead wood from forests to generate electricity. Poplar, willow and heap are some of the biomass crops.
- Biofuel renewable energy: Biofuel renewable energy is derived from burning plants and animal substance. This process is known as combustion. It is similar to biomass renewable energy.
Solar vehicle is powered completely by direct solar energy. Solar panel present in the vehicle contains solar cells which will convert solar energy into electric energy. Solar energy is used to power all or some parts of a vehicle’s propulsion. Solar vehicles are not used as day-to-day transportation device. Indirectly solar-charged vehicles are distributed and solar boats are available commercially.
Solar cars contains Photovoltaic(PV) cells which converts sunlight into electricity for the propulsion of electric motors. The technologies used in aerospace, bicycle and automotive industries are combined together and used in solar cars. Solar cars are mainly built for solar car races. The World Solar Challenge and the North American Solar Challenge are the two famous solar car races.
The usage of solar power system reduce the electricity bills and installation of the solar panel is more efficient and affordable. There are three criteria to be considered during installation of the solar panel. They are exposure to the sun, roof size and roof sloop.
Exposure to sunlight:
Solar panel must be installed in a north facing roof, this is because the exposure of sunlight throughout the day is more in north facing roof. Even the solar panels can be installed in east or west facing roof’s, but it is not much efficient like north facing roof. Installation in south facing roof is not efficient and not recommended. The panels must be completely exposed to sunlight between 9a.m and 3p.m even in the middle of winter. Letting shades of the trees and neighbouring buildings fall on the solar panel will reduce the efficiency to convert sunlight into electricity.
The usage of solar energy are becoming popular to save money on electric bills. The group of solar cells connected in series or in parallel manner is known as solar panel. The solar panel voltage is always greater than 12V.
Solar cell is made up of a semi conductor material such as polycrystalline silicon or monocrystalline silicon. The voltage of the solar cell is less than 5V.
Charge controller is also known as regulator. There are different types of regulators available.