There are three types of solar panels available. They are: Mono crystalline solar panels, Poly crystalline solar panels and Amorphous solar panel.
Mono crystalline solar panels
Solar panels made of single-crystalline silicon is known as mono crystalline solar panels. This type of solar panel is also known as single silicon solar panel. Mono crystalline solar panels are made out of silicon bar which is cylindrical in shape. The four sides of the silicon bar is cut to make solar wafers in order to optimize performance and lower cost of a single crystalline solar panel.
- Mono crystalline solar panels are made out of high grade silicon so that efficiency rate of the solar panel is high.
- Mono crystalline solar panels requires less space when compared to other type of solar panels.
- Mono crystalline solar panels have longer life.
- The performance of the mono crystalline solar panel is high.
Poly crystalline solar panels
Solar panels made of multiple silicon crystals is known as poly crystalline solar panels. This type of solar panel is also known as multi-crystalline silicon solar panel. Raw silicon is liquified and poured into a square cast, which is cooled and cut into perfectly square wafers.
- The process of making poly crystalline solar panel is simple.
- Poly crystalline solar panel is cost efficient.
- Heat tolerance of poly crystalline solar panel is less.
Amorphous solar panel
Amorphous solar panels are made out of several layers of amorphous silicon, in order to obtain high efficiency rate. The technique used for the manufacturing of amorphous solar panel is ‘stacking’. This type of solar panel is also known as Thin film solar panels. Silicon, copper indium diselenide (CIS) or cadmium telluride (CdTe) are used to manufacture amorphous solar panel. It is commonly used for building integrated photovoltaics(BIPV).
- Amorphous solar panel are cheap.
- This type of solar panels are not affected by shading.